[Cryptography] Levels of Spam

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sun Sep 27 11:29:32 EDT 2020

On 9/26/20 at 12:41 PM, in Re: [Cryptography] A naming and key
distribution infrastructure for the Mesh, phill at hallambaker.com
(Phillip Hallam-Baker) wrote:

>The way I see things, traditional telephone and SMTP email are dying
>because they are too spammy to live.

I agree with you about telephones. My current situation isn't
too bad because my phone's area code is 3000 miles from where I
live. Real unknown callers that I actually want to talk with are
most likely to call from near where I live. I will, of course,
answer calls from numbers in my address book. Things will
probably get worse, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

BTW, since Covid-19 contact tracers don't leave phone messages,
they are very likely to miss contacting the people they want to
talk with, since so many people send unknown numbers directly to
voice mail.

The spam situation on my email is much better. Between the spam
filter on my email agent, and the one at my ISP, very few spam
messages get through -- factors of 100-1000 less than comes in
the postal mail.

I think both POTS and email may last a long time with simple
hacks to avoid bothering their users with the spam that exists.
One might even dream that the levels of spam will go down as it
becomes less effective. But I do worry about what might replace
the current forms of spam.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Privacy is dead, get over | Periwinkle
(408)348-7900      | it.                       | 150 Rivermead
Rd #235
www.pwpconsult.com |    - Scott McNealy (1999) | Peterborough,
NH 03458