[Cryptography] Secret sharing for family members

Francis Pouatcha Francis.Pouatcha at adorsys.com
Tue Oct 20 12:39:27 EDT 2020

Confidentiality - can anyone read the data before they should?

Integrity - can the data be modified without detection?

Availability - could we lose the data?

I wouldn't rely on any kind of solid enough cryptographic algorithm or durable enough storage. Time is the enemy of all these properties. Adequate solution needs a procedure with a lot of rotation of everything, starting with the secret itself, crypto keys, storage, data, trusted  people, transparency logs.

[orcmid]

Elaborate treatment of Shamir secrets deleted.

So what happened to the distribution of separate pieces of a Benjamin (or some pieces of a dissected puzzle) that it takes a minimum of m of n people to show their parts and confirm that they fit together?  Someone trusted has to hold the treasure, unless there is a very fancy lock 😊.  Aren’t we over-thinking this problem?

A Benjamin Secret shall be

  *   either under the control of his delegated custodian (Attorney, Notary).
  *   or materializable by another quorum (loop). If there are 5 siblings, the Bejamin part could be reshared to a (4,3 secret sharing scheme)