[Cryptography] Secret sharing for family members

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sun Oct 18 19:58:51 EDT 2020

From: Francis Pouatcha via cryptography
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 04:42

SSDs have a finite lifetime. but lets do this systematically:

Confidentiality - can anyone read the data before they should?
Integrity - can the data be modified without detection?
Availability - could we lose the data?
I wouldn't rely on any kind of solid enough cryptographic algorithm or durable enough storage. Time is the enemy of all these properties. Adequate solution needs a procedure with a lot of rotation of everything, starting with the secret itself, crypto keys, storage, data, trusted  people, transparency logs.
[orcmid]
Elaborate treatment of Shamir secrets deleted.

So what happened to the distribution of separate pieces of a Benjamin (or some pieces of a dissected puzzle) that it takes a minimum of m of n people to show their parts and confirm that they fit together?  Someone trusted has to hold the treasure, unless there is a very fancy lock 😊.  Aren’t we over-thinking this problem?