[Cryptography] Secret sharing for family members

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at zhaw.ch
Fri Oct 16 02:42:38 EDT 2020

On 10/15/20 5:25 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:

 > On 10/14/2020 9:16 PM, Richard Outerbridge wrote:
 >>
 >>> On 2020-10-14 (288), at 20:50:51, Ángel <angel at crypto.16bits.net>
wrote:

 >> [ …. ]

 >>> Store an offline copy (such as a CD) of the password
 >>> manager file holding all those digital estates in a safe.
 >>>
 >>> If the need arises that you are (temporarily or permanently)
 >>> unable to handle your 'digital estate', your family member may take the
 >>> safe key from you and access it.
 >>>
 >>> A physical solution seems preferable than a cryptonerd one here.
 >>>
 >>> Best
 >> Umm, when was the last time you bought a CD burning drive
 >> equipped laptop let alone PC?  Let alone blank CDs from a
 >> neighbourhood convenience store?  Let alone a safety deposit
 >> box, &tc, &tc.
 >> __outer
 >
 > If you are going to store it in a safe, printing on paper seems the
 > simplest.
If I'm not mistaken, many modern printers will store the printed
document locally on a disk. If that's so, and if stealing the printer
and recovering the key that way is in your attacker model, then copying
the key by hand seems to be the way.

Fun

Stephan

PS: The last time I bought a CD burning drive was two years ago. I don't
see why that should be an issue (yet), at least in Switzerland.