[Cryptography] Secret sharing for family members

Francis Pouatcha fpo at adorsys.de
Wed Oct 14 13:14:11 EDT 2020

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> In these days of 'digital estates', where each of us
> controls a large swath of digital accounts, there
> appears to be a need for safely sharing secrets with
> family members -- e.g., for medical and/or estate
> planning purposes.
>
> Here are some desiderata:
>
> * don't want to trust a single family member
> * family members probably not security conscious,
>   so may inadvertently disclose other family
>   member secrets
> * may need some sort of 'majority' capability
> * ability to 're-key' -- i.e., 'refresh' secrets
> * ...

We are working on launching such a product. Not obvious at all as we
have to deal with:
- social secret sharing and recovery
- time as the enemy of encrypted/signed messages
- social impacts of trusted/trustee relationships
- social engineering risks

Will be publishing some work soon.

If you are interested in a presentation of our work, send me a
message.

Best regards.
--
Francis Pouatcha