[Cryptography] real world binary ecc

James Muir muir.james.a at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:08:57 EST 2020

On 2020-11-12 1:12 a.m., jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> What you want from an elliptic curve is that it is fast and that it does
> not come from a committee because an NSA agent is always on that
> committee.  I recommend libsodium's ristretto255
>
> Why do you want binary fields?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm interested in the question of whether a cryptographic library should
bother to include support for binary curves.  The answer to that depends
on what type of library we are talking about.

libsodium isn't a general purpose crypto library.  It makes (good)
choices about the underlying crypto for the user.

but suppose you want to create a new TLS library.  Should you support
binary curves?  or maybe you want to offer a library people could use
when following FIPS 186-4.  TLS and FIPS 186-4 do mention binary ecc,
but is it used in practice?

Has anyone seen TLS use binary ecc in real life?

Do any other spec/standards recommend binary ecc?

-James M