[Cryptography] real world binary ecc

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Nov 12 01:12:11 EST 2020

On 2020-11-03 04:59, James Muir wrote:
> I don't know of any systems (other than TLS) that make use of ecc over
> binary fields.  Does anyone else?  Is there a public spec you can point
> me to?

My understanding is that, because the multiplicative inverse on a binary
field is slow, adding two elliptic points over a binary field tends to
be as slow as a month of Sundays.

What you want from an elliptic curve is that it is fast and that it does
not come from a committee because an NSA agent is always on that
committee.  I recommend libsodium's ristretto255

Why do you want binary fields?