[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P., Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

Bob Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 30 22:11:21 EDT 2020

Re:
> Encryption has never been regulated internally for almost all purposes. (Ham radio can't use encryption, but that's not only just for radio, but internationally it was. Even here, there are complexities that I can't describe both succinctly and accurately.)
 From what I have read the rule against encryption for hams (such as I
am) was put in because around the time of WWI there was fear people (not
just hams, if they are in fact people) were leaking information to
Germany. Remember how much hatred of German emigres there was, leading
people to change their names and quit speaking German where it had been
the language spoken at home. I don't know whether there would be much
opposition to removing the prohibition for hams now, but discussing that
might lead us away into politics...
Bob Wilson (WA9D)