[Cryptography] Statement from Attorney General William P. Barr on Introduction of Lawful Access Bill in Senate

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 29 15:07:49 EDT 2020

At 10:23 AM 6/29/2020, Jon Callas wrote:
>Encryption has never been regulated internally for almost all purposes. (Ham radio can't use encryption, but that's not only just for radio, but internationally it was. Even here, there are complexities that I can't describe both succinctly and accurately.)

A few years ago I looked into *actual armor* -- e.g., kevlar vests --
and found (to my surprise) that kevlar vests were regulated.

I thought that this was pretty stupid -- as vests might actually
be a good idea in some neighborhoods -- and any restrictions are
likely unconstitutional.

After all, it's pretty difficult to kill someone by hitting him
with a kevlar vest, so I'm not sure who I'm putting in danger
from *my* wearing such a vest.

I liken encryption to *defensive* armor -- e.g., kevlar vests --
its hard to consider encryption as *offensive* -- the old saying,
"sticks & stones may break my bones, but words will never
break me".