[Cryptography] improved identification of non-targets

Peter Trei petertrei at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:45:34 EST 2020

On 1/12/20 3:20 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> >> Anyone shooting down such a plane, or a combatant broadcasting such
> >> a signal, would be committing a war crime.

I'm a little late to the party here, but lets remember that 'false flag'
operations
are an accepted part of war, and not a war crime as long as they are used to
get close to the enemy. Its expected that combatants will show their true
colors before actually engaging in combat.

In the past, aircraft were expected NOT to do this, because of the
impracticality
of changing paint jobs as they enter combat. Not that that stopped anyone -
the
Wikipedia page for 'false flag' starts with a photo of a US plane in Cuban
livery
prior to the Bay of Pigs.

Electronic IFF systems could - perfectly legally - identify as anything
they
want up until they release weapons. Use of stolen IFF gear and codes,
real time retransmission of another plane's signal, or radio silence, or
jamming are not war crimes.

The people in charge of the Ukranian flight should have recognized that
just hours after attacking US bases, the airspace over Iran was dangerous,
and not flown.

Peter Trei