[Cryptography] looking for a word

Pipo pipo.gold at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 11:25:09 EST 2020

On 1/7/20 12:32 PM, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

> Words people have come up with:

..
> plagiarise
Or plagiarize..

I like that word very much.  It carries the notions of copying and of dishonesty.

It is very much widespread and understood. I haven't seen that word in this context but

if you add an "e-" in front like "email", you might be able to create a new word

at low cost.

The word comes from Latin word "plagiarius" (literally "kidnapper") and

/plaga/ ("snare", "net") further down the language history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

> I think "abstract" is probably the best word available, but am a little worried that most people will not be aware of the secondary meaning of abstract. It doesn't necessarily involve dishonesty, but it is sometimes used that way - eg abstraction of electricity, an offense under UK law; you can't steal electricity as it is not a thing, so the offense is "abstraction" not "theft".

I do not like that word in this context.  For me, that word is not a complete copy it is

closer to "characteristics left out" as in "The map is not the territory -- Korzybski" or

as "a brief summary of a research article".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_(summary)

-pipo