[Cryptography] looking for a word

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Tue Jan 7 19:54:26 EST 2020

Peter Fairbrother wrote on 8/01/20 6:32 am:
> I think "abstract" is probably the best word available, but am a little
> worried that most people will not be aware of the secondary meaning of
> abstract. It doesn't necessarily involve dishonesty, but it is sometimes
> used that way - eg abstraction of electricity, an offense under UK law;
> you can't steal electricity as it is not a thing, so the offense is
> "abstraction" not "theft".

I don't think that works as a verb substituting for "copy". People aren't
familiar with that use of the verb "abstract" will not understand what is
being said. The Oxford definition at
https://www.lexico.com/definition/abstract defines that sense of the verb as
"Extract or remove (something)" and then says "Used euphemistically to
indicate that someone has stolen something" with the first example sentence
referring to stealing concrete objects and the second using "abstracting
electricity". The legal term may be because electricity is not a "thing" that
can be subject to "stealing" but the action still uses up electric power
without replacement, as opposed to copying data and leaving the original. So
"abstract" still does not serve as a replacement for "copy".

There may not be a standalone verb to use. But what is wrong with "illegal
copying" or "unauthorised copying" choosing the first for an action that is in
violation of some law and the second for an action that may or may not
actually be illegal but may have moral weight?