[Cryptography] Encryption and anonymity as top tools for images of child sexual abuse

Alfie John alfie at alfie.wtf
Mon Sep 30 20:14:46 EDT 2019

On 1 Oct 2019, at 06:44, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> We appreciate the wisdom of President Eisenhower: "If you want total security, go to prison.
> There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.  The only thing lacking... is freedom."

As Australia started out as a penal colony, it seems fitting to still treat us like convicts:

    https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/crossbench-disquiet-grows-over-draconian-spyware-bill-20180926-p5062x.html

    "It appears that people who are not even suspected of committing a crime can face a fine
     of up to $50,000 and up to five years’ imprisonment for declining to provide a password
     to their smart phone, computer or other electronic devices."

Although it's sad to see my country bend over to the spylords, I've given up the political fight...
Every person I talked to on the ground about the AABill did not care. And I'm not talking about the
general public, but mostly developers and admins. FFS, even talking to devs within a company I worked
for doing cryptography did not care!!

The very people who should have cared, didn't. If they weren't swayed, how are you going to convince the
general voter to shout from the roof tops against politicians crying the Four Horsemen of the Infocalypse?

AFAIS the only way we (us Australians at least) will ever be safe from government spying is for encryption
to be built in, turned on by default, and being supply chain tamper proofed (this includes the legislation
like above). Anything away from this is either going to be too onerous on the user, or will eventually be
commandeered by governments.

A few years ago, the crowds said that the way against this push from governments to backdoor encryption was
to play their game politically rather than to try and solve it technically. History shows that this hasn't
and will continue to not work.

Political solutions aren't... so let's stop playing their games.

Alfie

--
Alfie John
https://www.alfie.wtf