[Cryptography] Shouldn’t root certificates switch to McEliece?

Ryan Carboni 33389 at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 10 17:22:46 EDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:09 PM, Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Ryan Carboni via cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:
>
>> Shouldn’t root certificates switch to McEliece?
>

> Are there additional references read on this research?

A category of micro controllers possess  256 kB of flash memory, so they should be able to use code-based cryptography (even if the key size is insufficient for some future generation of quantum computers). I think the marginal increase in power consumption compared to processor size becomes absurd with embedded devices. Regardless, the transition period should probably start... somewhere?