[Cryptography] Lockdown copyright survey paper on proof engineering

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Sep 5 17:18:39 EDT 2019

On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 02:47:07 -0700 John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> Perry, why are you sending us to a proprietary captive portal
> designed to track us and market to us?  Haven't the authors
> published this paper on their own website or in a "preprint"
> archive that's publicly accessible?

The summary is, I think it's an important paper to read, and Talia
Ringer, one of the authors (and an acquaintance) says they were asked
not to put it up for a few months so the publisher could recoup
printing expenses. There were a limited number of publishers who would
handle very long survey papers and would let them keep copyright, and
she thought the brief embargo was a reasonable compromise.

I thought the paper is sufficiently important that I'd ignore such
issues for now, especially since they'll eventually be resolved by the
passage of time.

Generally, I'm against paywalls of all sorts on academic literature,
and generally will not publish my own work in such places. However,
every once in a while, it's difficult to avoid wanting to *read*
something behind a paywall; valuable information is sometimes
contained in such papers.

With that, I'd prefer to put this to rest.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com