[Cryptography] The best TRNG architecture, comming soon?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Sep 4 16:05:29 EDT 2019

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 10:04 PM Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ring oscillator based TRNGs suck, hugely.  They are the reason we have so
> many RSA keys out there with one common factor.  They are hard to get right
> because no one knows exactly how much entropy is coming from them, and
> everyone wants to boot fast, so we read them too soon.
>
> The best, but patented IIRC, architecture for a TRNG is super simple.
> Since I'm not supposed to look at patents anymore, can someone take a look
> and see when this circuit will be available for the world to use
> unencumbered?  Here's a picture of the circuit:

I could not find something as simple as your schematic.  Yep, Enough
current patent activity to not go and look.
Build something of your own design that obviously solves known problems.

Dates of patents <redacted num>  :

One with a shift register to latch a byte
2027-05-12 Adjusted expiration

Another with a core darn close to yours but with delay lines.
2034-07-18 Adjusted expiration

Papers:
Truly Random Number Generator Based on a Ring Oscillator Utilizing Last
Passage Time
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6922512

A Chaotic Ring oscillator based Random Number Generator
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6855588

..thesis is dedicated to true random number generators ..
Sept 2016
https://www.esat.kuleuven.be/cosic/publications/thesis-286.pdf
See Bibliography.

A Provably Secure True Random Number Generator with Built-inTolerance to
Active
June 10, 2005
Attacks http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/2005/cacr2005-20.pdf
See Bibliography.

--
          T o m    M i t c h e l l ( o n   N i f t y E g g )