[Cryptography] NIST announced Round 1 candidates for lightweight crypto competition

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Tue May 7 02:52:59 EDT 2019

>>    NIST is our enemy.

On May 6, 2019, at 11:42 AM, Salz, Rich via cryptography
<cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:
> That's dangerously outdated and/or naïve.  Yes, NIST got played by the NSA for dual-EC;

Sounds mighty like "Yes, NIST is our enemy, but ..."

And it not terribly clear what the "but" is.

no, sunlight is a terrible disinfectant, because committees wind up
succumbing to group think, and group think tends at best to delusion,
and at worst winds up being dominated by the evil and the insane,
because the sane shift their position under social pressure, while the
evil and the insane do not shift their position.

I could give a very long list of examples of this problem, but that
would take the list off topic.