[Cryptography] Digital dyes for tracing digital leaks ?

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Jan 10 19:51:20 EST 2019

Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
> Thus, "uninitialied" memory would be initialized to such a code in
> such a way that if some of the same bit sub-sequences showed up again,
> it might be indicative of a data leak.

UCSD researchers used a technique like this to discover that the
"Security Erase" command to SSD flash drives typically fails to securely
erase:

  "Reliably Erasing Data from Flash-Based Solid State Drives"
  https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/fast11/tech/full_papers/Wei.pdf

  "3.1 Validation methodology

  Our method for verifying digital sanitization operations uses the
  lowest-level digital interface to the data in an SSD: the pins of the
  individual flash chips.

  To verify a sanitization operation, we write an identifiable data
  pattern called a fingerprint (Figure 3) to the SSD and then apply the
  sanitization technique under test.  The fingerprint makes it easy to
  identify remnant digital data on the flash chips. It includes a
  sequence number that is unique across all fingerprints, byte
  patterns to help in identifying and reassembling fingerprints, and a
  checksum. It also includes an identifier that we use to identify
  different sets of fingerprints. For instance, all the fingerprints
  written as part of one overwrite pass or to a particular file will
  have the same identifier. Each fingerprint is 88 bytes long and
  repeats fives times in a 512-byte ATA sector.

  Once we have applied the fingerprint and sanitized the drive, we
  dismantle it. We use the flash testing system in Figure 2 to extract
  raw data from its flash chips. The testing system uses an FPGA running
  a Linux software stack to provide direct access to the flash chips.
  Finally, we assemble the fingerprints and analyze them to determine if
  the sanitization was successful."

	John