[Cryptography] In the event of my death, master password

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Thu Feb 28 02:49:07 EST 2019

> More to the point, is how would you (with a technical background) like to access yout parents password for example?
> How best would a non technical person, possibly very old, access the passsword with minimum friction.
Similar to what John Levine said, it should be on a piece of paper in a safe place, or an approximation thereof.

For example, a literal piece of paper in the safety deposit box with the will.

I’m willing to consider some sort of computer thing, such as a secured text document or whatever. Yes, a number of these other options end up pushing the problem down to the turtle below you. (What’s the password for the encrypted text file? Well, it’s in the safety deposit box with the will.)

Definitely do not go anywhere near things like secret sharing etc. Those might work in some future world, but they’re just begging for trouble now. Remember that the rules of infosec are Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability. You don’t want to do something like maximize C and minimize A. I’ve heard several stories about people who made that mistake and now do not have available the few thousand bitcoins they once had.

	Jon