[Cryptography] Looking for reviewers with cryptographic experience for the IEEE Letters of the Computer Society (LOCS).

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Tue Feb 19 14:11:17 EST 2019

> I am looking for reviewers with cryptographic experience for the IEEE
> Letters of the Computer Society (LOCS)
> <https://www.computer.org/web/locs>  LOCS is a rigorously peer-reviewed...

Be warned that if you volunteer for this position, your work will
almost certainly be seized by IEEE for their profit, and locked behind
a restrictive copyright and a paywall so that the public can't read it.

IEEE and its "digital library", where papers go to die, has a long history
of exactly this strategy.  I looked at the LOCS website (above) and
didn't find anything to convince me that *this* IEEE journal won't
follow their default repressive rules.

Pick a real open-access journal to put your efforts into -- they will
benefit the public and the whole academic community.  Rather than
"volunteer" your work for free for a greedy publisher who is sucking
scarce funds out of academic libraries' budgets, for their own benefit.

	John