[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Let's not talk about DoH, or Well, that only took ten years

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Aug 18 01:19:19 EDT 2019

John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> writes:

>For anyone who hasn't been paying attention, DoH is an incredible can of
>worms.

It's also a classic example of "technology designed by geeks for geeks to
protect themselves against dangers that only geeks were worried about" (Phil
H-B).  Try explaining what it does to J.Random user, you'll initially get
blank looks and eventually bored looks if you persist (that's from real-world
experience).

>This has nothing to do with cryptography, so let's not talk about it here.

Speaking not in my capacity as a co-moderator, I find discussion of issues
around security/crypto technology both interesting and useful.  In fact if we
had more discussion of this sort of thing we might end up with more
appropriate and useful crypto/security technology being deployed.

Peter.