[Cryptography] WireGuard

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Sep 6 21:39:38 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>
> The real question isn't whether all these things are potentially useful,
>> it's whether people actually do use them.
>>

> Yes, they use them.
>
> The takeup of IPSec is pretty small.
>>

> You are very wrong. IPsec was already in massive use before openvpn,
> before anyconnect, and before all Windows/Mac products moved to
> IKEv2/IPsec, and even more so now those products have.

I am not so sure how extensive use of IPSEC is for security though.

The main reason I use VPNs is that they are the only cross-platform means
of proxying the IP stack so you can access from different geo-IP locations.

I would not describe IPSEC as a standard as it is difficult enough to get
OpenVPN to talk to OpenVPN.