[Cryptography] Norton Password Vault

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 03:07:50 EST 2018

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018, 00:42 Christian Huitema <huitema at huitema.net wrote:

> On 11/18/2018 6:50 PM, Kevin W. Wall wrote:
>
> > Thanks for anyone that can provide any help. Googling really didn't
> > help at all so thought I'd ask here before I tell them it's completely
> > hopeless and wait until the estate is settled and go with plan B.
>
> It may or may not work, but if you can script the access to the vault
> you could try a "smart" dictionary attack. Gather the name, dates or
> other numbers that were significant to the deceased, and use this set of
> strings to create a dictionary of potential passwords for the vault --
> mixing symbols, case shifts, variations, common words, etc.

Thanks Christian. That was more or less my Plan A, but I figured if I knew
the file format, I won't need to deal with the interactive nature of Norton
Password Vault, and it would be a lot faster since it exits after 3
consecutive failed password attempts.

If I had a Windows system that I could access along with Password Vault and
a debugger and binary editor I might be able to patch around the attempt
limits, but I have none of those. (I only run Linux and don't even have a
Windows license.) That's why Plan B seems to be more realistic unless I can
discover the Password Vault file format details.

-kevin
--
Blog: http://off-the-wall-security.blogspot.com/  |  Twitter:  @KevinWWall
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.