[Cryptography] Why the NSA called me...

iang iang at iang.org
Sat Nov 3 13:12:31 EDT 2018

Amusing read about source, crypto, cooperation and the NSA.

https://medium.com/datadriveninvestor/why-the-nsa-called-me-after-midnight-and-requested-my-source-code-f7076c59ab3d

Why the NSA Called Me After Midnight and Requested My Source Code
The story behind my top secret coffee cup

Please listen carefully and don’t hang up. Those were the first words
this unknown male caller said to me when my brother handed me the phone.

It was the July 4th weekend, 2000, give or take a day, and Mr. X knew to
say that first because he was calling me after midnight at my brother’s
house in Connecticut. This was beyond creepy because I lived in
California and nobody knew I was in Connecticut except for my immediate
family, who were all there with me in the house. I had only arrived the
day before as I do most years about this time for our annual family picnic.

Why was this guy calling me?

       It was a matter of national security.