[Cryptography] How to make rowhammer less likely

David Kane-Parry dkp at ldd.org
Tue Jun 19 18:06:47 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:
> Consider electronic building locks. When the power fails, do you open the
> doors or leave them locked? I think the solution generally used is to leave
> the building locked except to those who have a physical key. Similar
> solutions can be used for computer security systems.

This is might be too OT, so my apologies to the moderators if they
agree about that, but I believe this analogy to electronic building
locks is not fairly applied.  When power fails, electronic building
locks do not simply remain locked, but are required to at least unlock
in the direction of egress.  They are also required to have a manual
release device that interrupts power to the lock in the direction of
egress, regardless of whether power has failed or not.  And so just as
the door can be more important than the lock, a system can be more
important than its compromised RAM.

- d.