[Cryptography] How to make rowhammer less likely

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 19 13:08:12 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-18 09:13:28 -0700 (-0700), Bill Frantz wrote:
[...]
> Consider electronic building locks. When the power fails, do you
> open the doors or leave them locked? I think the solution
> generally used is to leave the building locked except to those who
> have a physical key. Similar solutions can be used for computer
> security systems.

Funny you should use that as an example. Over the years I was
responsible for a number of facilities whose fire marshals for their
respective jurisdictions required quite a lot of our electronic door
locks to fail open in the event of power loss or system failure (and
especially in the event of a detected fire) so as to provide safe
egress from the premises. Granted we selected latch mechanisms which
only allowed one-way traffic toward the exits, but security was
diminished as we were no longer able to track who exited and when
under such circumstances (except via surveillance systems, assuming
they remained operational).
--
Jeremy Stanley