[Cryptography] US contemplating its p0wn Great FireWall for 5G

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 29 00:53:40 EST 2018

The rest of the text (to make it searchable)...

At 05:19 PM 1/28/2018, Henry Baker wrote:
>FYI --
>
>http://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4361020/Secure-5g.pdf
>
>51MBytes.
>---
>
>Secure 5G
>The Eisenhower National Highway System for the Information Age.
>
>---
>
>The Information Domain is a Key Area of Competition
>
>Goal: A network that reflects our principles
>* Rule of Law
>* Freedom of Speech
>* Freedom of Religion
>* Fair and Reciprocal Markets
>
>---
>
>Networks are the Dominant Competition Space
>
>China is the Dominant Competitor
>* China has achieved a dominant position in the manufacture and operation of network infrastructure
>* China is the dominant malicious actor in the Information Domain
>
>We are losing, but...
>
>---
>
>We Can Make a Fundamental Change
>1.  We are now moving from 4G to 5G
>2.  MUST take the opportunity to build it securely and go...
>
>Otherwise, China will win
>* Politically
>* Economically
>* Militarily
>
>---
>
>How Do We Flip the Script?
>
>LEAD
>* Inspired Leadership has driven our most significant national accomplishments
> * Without Eisenhower there would be no Interstate
> * Without Kennedy there would be no space program
>* Inspired leadership can build it
> * Assets: Frequency Spectrum, Technology and Talent
>
>CATALYSE
>* Government and rural broadband provide the business case
>* Tax reform is an accelerator
>
>Businesses and citizens will choose to join the secure 5G Internet -- If you build it they will come
>
>---
>
>Benefits to the American People
>
>Security
>* Information Domain Counter to Belt and Road
>* Joint and coalition forces seamless Command and Control
>
>Prosperity
>* Creates Millions of Jobs and Trillions in Economic Growth
>* Rural broadband gets done first!
>
>Arena of Allied Cooperation
>* Build secure 5G at home and abroad
>* Japan all in
>
>Information Age
>* This is a requirement for American success
>
>---
>
>I just typed in the first few slides, but you can see that is a replay attack of the Federal takeover of all radio in WWI and the subsequent formation of "Radio Corporation of America" aka RCA.
>
>Clearly, the NSA no longer wants to hide, but wants to actively ape China's Great Firewall and "stasi" all U.S. communications.

Primer

Today's information space is complex.  Data traverses cyberspace through a patchwork transport layer
constructed through an evolutionary process as technology matured.  This data transport layer resides
and is enabled by an infrastructure overlaid by an even more complex cyber threat landscape.
Comprised of nefarious actors with varying levels of sophistication and an array of malicious intent, the
current cyber threat landscape challenges the ability to secure and ensure a reliable information space.
Measures to secure and protect data and information result in an 'overhead' that affects network
performance -- they reduce throughput, increase latency, and result in an inherently inefficient and
unreliable construct.  Additionally, the framework under which access and services are allocated is sub-
optimal, yielding incomplete and redundant competing networks.  Without a concerted effort to
reframe and reimagine the information space, America will continue on the same trajectory -- chasing
cyber adversaries in an information environment where security is a scarcity.

The advent of 'secure' network technology and the move to 5G presents an opportunity to create a
completely new framework to safely, securely, and reliably transport and share information.  While '4G'
was an evolution of '3G,' simply promising faster speeds, '5G' is by no means simply a 'faster 4G' --
despite the chronological moniker.  This next generation technology, combined with a concerted effort
by public and private entities, can position the United States to leap ahead of global competitors and
provide (he American people with a secure and reliable infrastructure to build the 21st century
equivalent of the Eisenhower National Highway System -- a single, inherently protected, information
transportation superhighway.  To do so, it will take strong and focused leadership from USG along with
the collaboration of public and private entities to seize this opportunity afforded by the emerging
technologies to commit to building a secure 5G network within three years.

Such collaboration promises benefits for American commerce -- spurring economic growth and strength;
national security--enabling innovation for more resilient and effective operations; and most
importantly, the individual--providing American constituents the ability to knows see, and understand
how their digital information acts and is acted upon once it is released and transmitted.  America is on
the edge of a precipice -- we can jump into the information age of the future today or continue falling in
the spiral of cyber-attacks.

                        Secure 5G -- Flipping the Script

FACT:  China is currently poised to lead the global deployment of 5G.

DISCUSSION:  Huawei has used market distorting pricing and preferential financing to dominate the
global market for telecommunications infrastructure.  China sets aside up to 70 percent of its mobile
infrastructure market for Huawei and ZTE, only allowing Western vendors to compete for the
remainder.  The magnitude of the Chinese market reserved to Huawei and ZTE allows the companies to
effectively fund their R&D with domestic sales while insulating the companies against global
infrastructure spending down turns.  The government has also extended an estimated $100 billion line
of credit to Huawei to finance deals abroad.  Combined with aggressive pricing, diplomatic support, and
suspected payments to local officials, Huawei has quickly taken market share in the radio infrastructure
market as well as optical and routing, leaving them poised to take market leadership of 5G.

Huawei has gone from a market share in radio infrastructure of roughly 11 percent in 2011 to a share
equal to or greater than Ericsson and Nokia, the two largest Western mobile infrastructure suppliers.
Similarly, in routing, Huawei more than doubled its market share in an 18-month period, and in several
areas or routing it has caught or surpassed market leader Cisco.  Europe led 3G deployment, the U.S. led
4G, and with these market altering practices, the Chinese may be poised to lead in 5G Huawei,

Notably, the FBI continues to monitor market activity and update its compendium of activities and risks
associated with Huawei and ZTE.  Apart from the suggestions for a U.S. market strategy provided herein,
permanently tasking the FBI to work with other intelligence agencies to monitor and regularly report to
Congress and the Administration on the market activities and risks of Chinese infrastructure vendors
would be valuable for national security.

FACT:  U.S. telecommunications manufacturers have all but disappeared.

DISCUSSION:  Today, only a handfui of companies are postured to play a role in global 5G deployment;
Qualcomm, Cisco, Juniper, Nokia, Samsung, Ericsson, Huawei and ZTE.  Qualcomm makes chipsets for
mobile devices while Cisco, Nokia, and Juniper provide core and routing technologies, but not radio
infrastructure.  Nokia, Samsung, and Ericsson offer radio infrastructure as well as other technologies and
services essential to mobile broadband.  Notably, on the current trajectory, 5G in the U.S. will debut on
equipment from just this small group of companies, which would include Chinese suppliers unless
informal restrictions against their inclusion in national networks are maintained for 5G networks.  Even
at that, radio manufacturers other than Huawei and ZTE will face declining market share if conditions do
not change.

ASSUMPTION: Whoever leads in technology and market share for 5G deployment will have a
tremendous advantage towards ushering in the Massive Internet of Things, machine learning, artificial
intelligence, and thus the commanding heights of the information domain.

DISCUSSION:  5G is a fundamental shift in wireless infrastructure.  More like the invention of the
Gutenberg press than the move from 3G to 4G, it will move the world into the information age.
Everything from automated cars and aircraft to advanced logistics and manufacturing to true AI
enhanced networked combat.  Most communication on the network wilt move from mobile devices to
machine to machine (M2M) traffic.  This will help accelerate machine learning and AI development.

The Challenge:  Can we flip the script?  Can the u.S. conduct a moonshot with secure 5G deployment,
and steal the lead position for dominating the information domain?

Answer:  Yes, but it will take focused and determined leadership and a commitment to building a
secure, high-performance (capacity and coverage) 5G network faster than anyone is currently
predicting -- 3 years.

DISCUSSION:  There are numerous major decisions that affect the answer to this question:

      1. What type of network should we build -- single-block, or multi-block?
      2. What spectrum can we make available?
      3. Can we standardize siting requirements?

Other ancillary questions effect the efficacy of the project:

      1. Can we rebuild a telecommunications manufacturing base in the U.S.?
      2. Can we elicit allies and partners to build with U.S.?
      3. Can we elicit allies and partners to jointly grow these networks in the developing world?

Type of Network:  Options -- 1} Single-block; 2) Multi-block

      Single Block:  if the U.S. were to build and run one physical network using the Mid Band
spectrum it could lease time back to carriers to sell as a service.  This would allow the allocation of a
large amount of bandwidth for the network by creating one black of spectrum in the Mid Band range.

      Pros:

         1.  Speed -- This would enable virtual network slices at the full capacity enabled by
             combining the bandwidth that would normally be allocated to each.  For example, in
             the 3.7 to 4.2 GHz frequency range there is 500 MHz of spectrum available.  That
             bandwidth could be divided into smaller segments and then apportioned to the
             carriers to build competing networks.  However, if all or most of this spectrum is
             used as a single block, then the peak and average speeds achieved on such a
             network would be vastly different.  For example, under a single block scenario speed
             to devices would be in the several Gbps range, while in the multi block scenario it
             would be in the several hundred Mbps range.
         2.  Security -- In the single block scenario, the network could be built with security as a
             foundational element enabling the securing of both government and civilian data,
             The network could also be built for resiliency from physical attack or natural
             disasters.
         3.  Speed of Deployment -- Building a single block network could take the shape of a
             21st Century Eisenhower National Highway System.  This would enable deployment
             on a national scale by using authorities unleashed by the cyber emergency we face
             on a daily basis.  Siting restrictions could be standardized for the nation.  Spectrum
             could be made more easily available by moving some current commercial and
             federal customers arid dynamically sharing dual-use spectrum.  Finally, instead of
             several networks being built, we would only need to build one, which will lead to
             more efficient dep~oymerit of resources.
      Cons:

          1.  New Paradigm -- The current market situation involves many carriers who compete
              at building networks.  The single block model would require a single network that is
              virtually shared by retail providers.

      Mitigation:

          1.  Since the single block network would only cover the Mid Band, other carriers could
              build High Band networks to the same exacting security requirements ii they so
              choose.  This would allow for increased capacity in urban areas and thus product
              differentiation.  All carriers in this scenario could offer the Mod Band network for
              coverage alongside their own separately deployed High Band networks.  Note:
              carriers are already looking at options to free up the 3.7 to 4.2 block for their own
              use.

      Multi Block:  Carriers could build and own the network based on 100 MHz spectrum blocks,

      Pros:

           1. Less Commercial Disruption -- Carriers already anticipate rolling out 5G, but at a far
              slower pace.  Getting them to build and own the network will be an easier sell.

      Cons:

           1. Less Bandwidth -- Since there will be numerous networks, the 500 MHz in the Mid
              Band would have to be divided slowing network speeds.
           2. The end-result wouldn't necessarily help the U.S leapfrog the rest of the world in 5G
              performance.
           3. Timing -- In order to provide individual blocks that are large enough to be useful for
              carriers, incumbent satellite users and all of the earth station users (including
              broadcasters and cable companies) would need to be cleared.  Given the ordinary
              length of regulatory proceedings necessary to accomplish this and the likely legal
              challenges from the satellite companies and Earth station users, the spectrum is
              unlikely to be available in the next flve years.  Clearing and/or repacking to make
              spectrum available would be uneven and could potentially leave areas of the
              country, including rural areas where the satellite services are widely used, without
              spectrum available to underpin a 5G network for as much as 7-10 years.  This a
              potentially fatal challenge of the multi-block, multi-carrier network approach in the
              3.7-4.2 GHz band

What Spectrum Can We Make Available?:  Currently most equipment manufacturer work is being done
in the High Band.  In the U.S. this is at 28GHz.  Verizon is the only carrier who owns a nationwide block of
spectrum at 28 GHz.  AT&T is looking to the FCC to offer more spectrum in this range for their
nationwide 5G network.  Spectrum sales can take as long as 7 years based on historical timelines.  Due to
the inability to pass through human bodies, high band will have to be augmented with far more cell
sites.  This requires more fiber, more approvals and more installations for a given city.  The net result is
that high band will by its very nature lengthen deployment times.  There are some who believe that for
this reason alone 5G will not be built in the U.S., or at the very least it will be one of the last nations to
fully deploy, Neverthe~ss tested speeds in this frequency band has shown multiple Gbps to the device.

The FCC is currently looking at the Mid Band for possible 5G use.  The Mid Band range they are looking at
is 3.7-4.2 GHz.  None of the previously mentioned equipment manufacturers are currently building for
this band, but could have a solution in 6-8 months' time based on commitments to make spectrum
available for large-scale deployments.  There are some U.S. equipment companies who are working in
this area, so the U.S. could still claim a lead in the technology.  Mid Band would allow for a much less
dense network since it is closer in geographical layout to currently deployed networks.  All of the current
4G towers could be used for rollout along with an additional 20 percent more towers, reducing the
deployment timelines.  A 100 MHZ block of spectrum gives you around 400 Mbps, and a 500 MHz block
gives you multiple Gbps at the device.  The only carrier that currently owns spectrum in the Mid Band is
Sprint with a 100 MHz block of spectrum at 2.5 GHz,

Low Band provides good coverage, but will not give true 5G speed or low latency.  Currently only 600
MHz is designated for 5G, and the only nationwide spectrum block is owned by T-Mobile.  5G
deployment will most likely encompass low, mid and high band spectrum for both coverage and
capacity.  Because of the long distance and penetration capability in Low Band, this spectrum will be
used to extend coverage areas to more remote locations.

To recap, only three carriers currently have nationwide spectrum for 5G deployment:

            1. Verizon -- High Band (28 GHz dt 800 MHz spectrum block)
            2. Sprint -- Mid Band (2.5 GHz at 100 MHz spectrum blork)
            3. T-Mobile -- Low Band (600 MHz at ~20 MHz spectrum block)

As it stands today we could see that Verizon will be the only one with true 5G capability in terms of
speed (capacity).  Sprint and T-Mobile will provide coverage.  Typically~ the carriers have fought for both
coverage and capacity and this will likely be the case.  This means either more spectrum will have to be
made available at Mid and High Bands, or expect Verizon to dominate the 5G market in the U.S. with
selective coverage.

Options -- 1) Mid Band; 2) High Band

      Mid Band:  If the FCC were to make 3.7-4.2 GHz available for 5G use and we were to build the
network with the full 500 MHz block of spectrum (or the vast majority of it), then we could deploy a true
5G network on existing 4G infrastructure with only about 20 percent more sites required for coverage.  If
we parceled out the spectrum in 100 MHz blocks this would allow carriers to do the same for coverage,
but it would not deliver the full potential of peak speeds as single block of spectrum.  It might be possible
to set aside 100 MHz of spectrum to cater to incumbents and leverage the remaining 400 MHz as a
single block.  Either way, physics dictates that mid band is the only spectrum range that allows you to
build a network 3 years, offering high performance in terms of both coverage and capacity.

      Pros:

           1. Fast Deployment -- Opening the mid band range allows network coverage to be built
              fast since less sites are required for nationwide coverage.
           2. 5G Speeds -- If the full block of spectrum is used to build one network, the resulting
              network would generate world-leading S~3 speeds.

      Cons

            1. Current Spectrum Owners -- There are currently commercial and federal users of
               this spectrum who will have to be moved elsewhere.  The good news is that most are
               satellite operators or radars.  The satellite operators can easily move to fiber, and
               dual-use spectrum sharing could work in those situations that won't allow for the
               customer to move.  Nevertheless as is the case with all spectrum reallocation, expect
               current spectrum owners to argue for the status quo.  (Nokia Comment:  This is
               subject to significant disagreement, with satellite operators and some of their
               broadcast customers arguing that the weakness of the downlink signal will make
               detection and interference avoidance using current sharing technologies impossible.
               We believe that there is a path to releasing the full 500Mhz over a phased approach
               and with a strong sales effort to the incumbents.  4K video becoming prevalent will
               make some of this easier to navigate.]

      High Band:  Since we already have one carrier with sufficient spectrum available for deployment
in High Band, there is no rush for further spectrum.  AT&T wants to buy spectrum to deploy a nationwide
network, so the FCC is working through that allocation.

      Pros:

            1. Competition -- Making more High Band available allows for more carriers that can
               provide true 5G speeds, but does not get the nationwide network built any faster.
            2. 5G Speeds -- An 200 MHz block of spectrum is available and would generate true 5C
               speeds in selected areas.

      Cons:

            1. Due to the onerous process of locating sites, power and transport under clii rent
               guidelines, the buildout in the high-band could span several years thereby handing
               over 5G leadership to other countries.

Can We Standardize Siting Requirements?:  Options --1) USG Secured; 2) Industry Secured

      USG Owned:  If USG secures the network, then much like the Eisenhower Highway System
national security becomes an important driver for deployment.  Much like concertina wire on a beach
facing assault, or a city wall meant to keep out bandits, the case can be made that a nationwide secure
network is required to create a defensive perimeter in the information domain.  Since we are afforded
the benefit of two large oceans for our physical defense, why not build the equivalent situation in the
information domain.

Current efforts to build 5G networks in the United States have struggled with local siting requirements,
For example, Ericsson is struggling with deployment of a 5G network in Seattle, because each
municipality has unique processes for getting approval to deploy.  These can include different format for
drawings, different pole mounts, and/or different aesthetics for the equipment.  Additionally, some
municipalities want to charge a fee, thus increasing both expense and deployment time.  The bottom line
is that a 3 year deployment time is not achievable without a nationwide standard for siting.  Texas has
already determined that statewide standards this will be required to get timely deployment in their
state.

     Pros:

            1. Fast Deployment -- The ability to use national security to force nationwide
               standardization of siting requirements.

      Cons:

            2. None.

      Industry Secured:  If carriers secure the network, it may still be possible to invoke national
security for standardization.  Otherwise, it may be possible for industry to convince states to agree to a
standardized process.  At a minimum, carriers and equipment manufacturers could agree to a set of
siting standards, NI5T nay provide an opt~on whereby USG could set the standards for siting, and
carriers would build to that standard.

      Pros:

            None.

      Cons:

            1. We must rely on national standards and state and local governments to work with
               industry to develop standardized siting requirements.

Can we rebuild a telecommunications manufacturing base in the U.S.?

      Equipment manufacturers have expressed a willingness to move manufacturing facilities to the
United States in support of a 5G effort.  This could be accomplished in time to allow for a three year
deployment timeline.

Can we elicit allies and partners to build with U.S.?

      There are several countries out there that have expressed an interest in partnering with the
United States on our 5G network.  It is unknown at this time whether they will choose to accelerate their
deployment, but at the very least we can expect an interest in deploying a Secure 5G network with
equipment from a trusted supply chain.  Importantly, this will allow for a counter to China's economic
model of using market dislocating principles to bind nations into their orbit in the information domain.
More broadly it can be the foundation to a democratic counter to the Belt and Road Initiative.  We can
expect the long term effect to be a lessening of Huawei's global market dominance.

Can we elicit allies and partners to jointly grow these networks in the developing world?

      This is currently unknown.  If it were possible to assemble such a coalition, then we could grow
our secure 5G networks in emerging markets.  Joint developmental finance efforts could be merged to
provide a one-stop shop for emerging market telecommunications projects.  Another alternative would
be to have certain allies and partners focus on certain regions for development.  Eventually, this effort
could help inoculate developing countries against Chinese neo-colonial behavior.

   Actions we must take regardless of the path forward:

              1.    Develop standards for 5G deployment.
                 1. Network Security Standards
                      * These will be used to build a network that is inherently secure.  White
                        this will not eliminate all cyber security challenges, it will fundamentally
                        alter the cyber threat landscape.  In other words, it returns the
                        advantage to the defense.
                 2. Infrastructure Standards
                      * These will be used to build the physical network infrastructure.  First Net
                        has already accomplished most of the work on their standards, and
                        these could be repurposed and modified for a nationwide 5G network.
                 3. Wireless Standards
                      * The equipment manufacturers who agree to build the network have to
                        agree on the wireless standards they will build to for interoperability.
                        The good news is that the industry group 3GPP has agreed on version 15
                        standards, which will be a good starting point for reaching consensus.

Additional Considerations (see Appendix 2):

Financing

Even before the passing of tax reform legislation, industry experts were optimistic about the ability to
fund secure 5G rollout.  The fast rollout timeline provides an opportunity to offset the potential drop in
exports due to a strengthening dollar effect by boosting domestic investment spending.  Since it relies on
private capital, it also does not add to the nation's debt.  While the business models for secure 5G are
still in development, it is likely that we will have to wait until the network is built to see the network's
true value.  The network will be transformative for society similar to the iPhone.  Similarly, many of the
applications will come later.  Nevertheless we know some industries transformations, like transportation
and self-driving vehicles, require this network to be built before they can be fully achieved.

Fiber Deployment

Estimates show that as much as 200 billion USD will be required for fiber deployment for 5G.  That said,
these reports are based on High Band deployment.  Mid Band will require significantly less.  Nevertheless,
5G deployment should be used as a catalyst for unlocking fiber deployment across the nation.  An
enforced requirement to lay fiber alongside any other construction would help this effort.  USG could
lead development of a mapping tool which consolidates all available data on dark fiber and conduit
locations, which would allow for more efficient planning for fiber laydown.

Labor

Building the network will require new sources of skilled labor.  This is an effort that government will need
to get in front of in order to develop new sources of training.  Department of Education can take the lead
in developing training programs that ensure an adequate supply of skilled labor.  Like the space race, the

transition to the information era will require increased investment in both STEM education as well as
increased funding for research and development.

Air and Space 5G

For a truly resilient 5G network, serious consideration should be given to creating air and space layers.
Certain equipment manufacturers have explored an air layer using airline traffic to create a mesh
network for air to air and air to ground 5G capability.  Commercial space providers are working on
constellations of satellites which would provide the capability for alternative backhaul options.
Eventually, these constellations could provide service to mobile devices for remote locations or
crisis/disaster situations.  With air and space layers, coverage could extend internationally providing
service for both government and private sector connectivity.

Rural Broadband

By initially focusing on rural broadband, the network would guarantee a revenue stream while further
business models develop.  There is at least one offer to build a rural broadband capability under a carrier
built and owned network model.  This capability would provide 100 Mbps speeds to approximately so
percent of rural customers, or somewhere around 24 million homes.  If the network were single block,
the speeds would be greater.  This capability could easily be built within the first term.

Why build a [secure] 5G network in three years?

On September 15, 2017 the Secretary of Defense named information a joint function.  The memorandum
states:

"The advent of the Internet, the expansion of information technology, the widespread availability of
wireless communications, and the far-reaching impact of social media dramatically impacted operations
and changed the character of modern warfare."

In the 21st Century freedom is won and lost in the information domain.  Our citizens and companies live
in relative peace and security in all other domains, because of our powerful military.  Yet, every day they
face a warzone in the information domain.  State and non-state actors steal intellectual property and
private data, sow division and obscure bad behavior, slander and defame the innocent, prey on the
weak and plant the seeds for total darkness in the event of all-out war.  There is no more pressing need
for a change in strategy than in the information domain.

Yet, for the most part the 700 billion USD defense budget does very little for the American people in the
information domain.  We promise the world's greatest air, land, sea and space force, but say look to
thyself for the information domain.  We even highlight cyber warriors in advertisements for military
recruitment.  Left unsaid is the fact those cyber warriors for the most part are looking after DoD
networks.  To be honest, even DoD is unprepared for the information age.  The vaunted F-35 is incapable
of being used to its full potential, because the data rates on our current networks preclude the full use
of its data collection.  Soon it will be joined by other advanced aircraft that are similarly data monsters.

The President unveiled his National Security Strategy on December 18, 2017.  In it he portrayed the