[Cryptography] Paid SMTP (PSMTP)

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Feb 27 19:16:53 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 5:15 AM, Ersin Taskin <hersintaskin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I received some remarks and challenges to my proposal for PSMTP. Some
> through the mail list, some in private. I researched the anti-spam
> state-of-the-art on the web. I checked patents, implementations, services,
> products, techniques, etc.

> If you read all the way here, your feedback is precious.

I think spam is hear to stay.
However the equivalent of first class delivery from registered senders is
almost easy and
we are doing part of it now.

I am not a member of one of the lists in my To: line,  I expect a bounce.

I am a member of the first list in the To: line and I expect to get a
moderator approval hang tight note.

I am replying to Ersin...  his mail system may drop filter bounce or
deliver my message.  I can remember
him or allow the list to filter messages from him.

Each is an example of a white, grey, black list delivery system.

Missing is an identification that justifies this in a cryptographic lists.

I am using a web interface to a mail service.   That service could
cryptographically sign all my messages
and put the signature in the message or a header to aid filters.
 Recipients and re-senders (list servers) can
inspect that signature and decide.

Introductions can be implied or co-signed by a list server.   I can thus
optionally capture a credential for Ersin
and associate it in an address book with an action.

SMTP authentication today is domain based...  extending to add a post
delivery hook for  user@ could allow a finer grained
management.    I suspect *@gmail.com embraces nearly some 1.7 billion
accounts.   so SMTP authentication
from gmail.com is a bit coarse.

My snail mail is managed much the same...  A first class stamp puts in pile
"A" and bulk rate ... in another.
A return address from a friend gets my attention and makes my reply easy.
Christmas cards make it easy to
keep up with friends that bring their rolodex to their new home.

List servers like this one might validate and allow the notion of c/o or
"care of" messages.
thus "hersintaskin at gmail.com%cryptography at metzdowd.com"  with a credential
might
have merit.

Golly the list manager could maintain the list and associated credentials
in a blockchain ;-)

"Imap or pop" could locall put some of these services in place and still
allow the resources of gmail
and cloud power.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l