[Cryptography] Quantum computers will never overcome noise issues?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Feb 17 16:05:02 EST 2018

* Allen:

> Gil Kalai, a mathematician at Hebrew University, believes quantum
> computers will never be able to overcome noise issues. See article at:
>
> https://www.quantamagazine.org/gil-kalais-argument-against-quantum-computers-20180207/
>
> Any thoughts on this?

For classical computation, I don't think we have conclusive proof that
it is impossible to build Shamir's constant-time arithmetic machine,
which, among other things, is able to factor any number n in O(log n)²
steps.  We have much less experience building quantum computers, so I
doubt it is possible to make definite claims about their strengths and
weaknesses.

People used to compute architectural designs using soap bubbles,
instead of using discrete computer simulations.  Maybe that's how
quantum computing will look like when it arrives.