[Cryptography] Useless side channels

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Feb 12 15:16:15 EST 2018

On 02/12/2018 06:09 AM, Alexander Klimov via cryptography wrote:

> Many smartphones cannot be really turned off, that is you cannot
> disconnect the battery every time you report to work on an air-gapped
> computer, thus workers switch the phone off and put it into a Faraday
> bag for extra protection.

It's true.  I have a metal box with a tight lid, which is just a bit
bigger than a standard smart phone.  I don't use it any more, but I
still have it.  And the little mylar "liner" thing (which looks just
like the anti-static bag your video card probably came in) that you're
supposed to stick the phone inside, fold over (the phone occupies about
the bottom half of it) and stick inside the box.

I think it was "both" because the mylar baggie tended to wear out
without the protection of the box, and the box's friction-fit lid may
not be reliably tight enough for a Faraday cage.  But anyway, it's both.

				Bear