[Cryptography] Do some exploits require imagination/creativity or only craftsmanship?

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 4 15:53:54 EST 2018

On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 12:21 +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> Do some exploits require imagination/creativity or only
> craftsmanship?

In theory creativity will always be needed in exploit development due
to Rice's theorem (the existence of an exploit is a non-trivial
property of a program, so simply deciding whether or not an exploit
exists is not computable).  I would expect that any advance in
automatic exploit finding will coincide with advances in code hardening
techniques or formal methods, so in the worst case we will always have
the status quo.

-- Ben