[Cryptography] Chrome & Firefox protecting users against Symantec (Thawte, Verisign, Equifax, Geotrust, RapidSSL, etc) certs.

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Sep 12 17:53:21 EDT 2017

In article <E1drqpF-0005f8-5m at elasmtp-curtail.atl.sa.earthlink.net> you write:
>>(Side question:  Why the heck did Symantec think it needed so many
>>different names?  When I see other companies playing shell games like
>>that my first thought is money laundering.)
>
>Because NSL's, because terrorists, because pornographers, because
>NorK's, because Wikileaks, because Snowden, because Putin, because
>China, because NSL's ...

Uh, nothing personal, but this is nonsense.  Really, all of the brands
are formerly independent ones that they acquired.

I got a Thawte cert back in the 1990s when Thawte was a small company
with HQ in South Africa and a small US office in North Carolina, with
whom I had lengthy discussions about what documentation they neded to
issue my DV cert.

R's,
John