[Cryptography] Chrome & Firefox protecting users against Symantec (Thawte, Verisign, Equifax, Geotrust, RapidSSL, etc) certs.

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 12 15:25:04 EDT 2017

At 11:45 AM 9/12/2017, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>From: Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net>
>
>Both of the major browsers apparently have plans to stop trusting
>essentially everything issued by Symantec, which is long overdue.
>
>(Side question:  Why the heck did Symantec think it needed so many
>different names?  When I see other companies playing shell games like
>that my first thought is money laundering.)

Because NSL's, because terrorists, because pornographers, because
NorK's, because Wikileaks, because Snowden, because Putin, because
China, because NSL's ...

But *never* because First Amendment, Fourth Amendment, Fifth
Amendment, Fourteenth Amendment...

Attacks on the First Amendment are going on right now: domain
registration; next up: certs.