[Cryptography] Anti-counterfeiting microchip

Camille Harang mammique at garbure.org
Wed Sep 6 08:45:25 EDT 2017

Hi Bernard, thanks for your reply.

Le 05/09/2017 à 20:40, Bertrand Mollinier Toublet a écrit :
> Camille,
>
> having worked on similar technology (sans blockchain) in my past, I will bite: what does any of what you are proposing bring over a simple unique ID NFC tag? If you can uniquely identify the item (via unique ID) and the vendor has infrastructure in place to tie the unique ID to an inventory entry, then what you are proposing is achieved.

Yes but if I understand correctly NFC IDs can be copied, right?

> As a matter of fact, I have posted here (https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/pics-share/E218E101-CC84-4A95-ABEE-0066441A4977.JPG) a picture of a Canon camera, which, back in mid-2014, was tagged with an uncloneable RFID chip which you could read with the appropriate Android app, which would then tie it to the manufacturer’s inventory and give you, the customer, assurances that the camera was in fact _not_ counterfeit.

Interesting, how come the RFID wasn't cloneable? What guarantees this?

> There were many challenges and shortcomings with the solution. I can assure you that missing public key cryptography or integration with a blockchain were not part of them.
>
> In other words, and the risk of raining on your parade: what you described looks like a solution in search of a problem, and anti-counterfeiting is not the problem for your solution.

My problem is to make physical goods usable like cash, for monetary
emancipation, same as Bitcoin, but for the physical world. Make such
exchanges easy and secure for everyone. I've developed a project for
that https://checkoin.org/ I was just trying to simplify it with
electronic-only solutions (low tech layers seems tedious to grasp), but
as it turns out to already be on its way with Chronicled, I think that
I'll see how to merge it with my existing project.

If anyone is interested in developing this kind of solutions please
contact me.

Thank you,

Camille.