[Cryptography] ? recommendations for secure communications

Ángel angel at crypto.16bits.net
Sat Oct 14 18:11:17 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-12 at 21:27 +0200, Ondrej Mikle wrote:
> I've seen this, which is supposed to make it easier for non-tech users
> (do the setup part) :
>
> https://prettyeasyprivacy.com/
>
> There was a talk at Hacker's Congress in Prague on it, but I don't
> think there's
> recording.

I find that they claim too many things™
- Makes your e-mail secure and private by default.
- Automatically encrypts your e-mail.
- Automatically anonymizes your e-mail.
- Ensures no one can intercept your e-mail.
- Prevents Identity Theft.
- Kills Spam.
- Stops Phishing.
- Works with your existing e-mail account(s). (Office365, Gmail,
Outlook.com, Exchange…)
- Easy to install, no questions asked.
- Never stops you from sending or reading your e-mail.
- It will work with any existing email and messaging system, including
SMS text,
- It is easy to use without any compromise in security or privacy,

while I don't think all of them could be achieved, which makes me thing
that either they are false / exaggerated or they don't understand it
completely. OTOH other pieces seem well-thought.

I don't think it would be appropriate for a whistleblower, though:
* It will send the email unencrypted if unable to find a key.
* Seems easy to leak the identity key in a different communication.