[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 14:07:10 EST 2017

On Nov 17, 2017 10:59 AM, "Nico Williams" <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:05:42PM -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 11/15/17 at 4:53 PM, nico at cryptonector.com (Nico Williams) wrote:
> > As to the issues with Real values not round-tripping, well, x.509 does
> > not use Real, so I'm not sure what he meant.  Maybe SPKI did??
>
> SPKI used S-expressions.

IEEE754 issues are encoding-agnostic.  This kind of thing comes up all
the time in JSON tooling, in ECMAScript, in RDBMSes, and many other
things besides.  S-expressions wouldn't be immune.  If you want floating
point numbers to interop and round-trip then all implementations must
use arbitrary precision floating point software implementations.

This is not exactly  true. IEEE floats don't come with a wire format but
you can serialize and deserialize the fields in the float and that is
specified to work. Formats using other bases can work with the right high
precision print routine.