[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Nov 17 10:54:26 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:05:42PM -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 11/15/17 at 4:53 PM, nico at cryptonector.com (Nico Williams) wrote:
> > As to the issues with Real values not round-tripping, well, x.509 does
> > not use Real, so I'm not sure what he meant.  Maybe SPKI did??
>
> SPKI used S-expressions.

IEEE754 issues are encoding-agnostic.  This kind of thing comes up all
the time in JSON tooling, in ECMAScript, in RDBMSes, and many other
things besides.  S-expressions wouldn't be immune.  If you want floating
point numbers to interop and round-trip then all implementations must
use arbitrary precision floating point software implementations.