[Cryptography] Brainstorming for encrypted text messaging ideas...

Grant Schultz gschultz at kc.rr.com
Fri Jun 23 21:43:12 EDT 2017

Arnold Reinhold wrote,
> A naive way to use the ORION system would be to follow the encoding procedure above and then take a picture of the reverse side and send it to recipient (who is assumed to have a matching pad). She could print it out the image, place it over the matching pad sheet and follow the decode procedure above. One could include fiducial marks on the OTP sheets that the computer could use to correct for any distortions, insuring the printed-out image would be in proper registration.

Today the problem would be the sensitivity of our CCD cameras and the
ability of image processing software to pick out subtle details from
images.  I wouldn't be surprised if image analysis could detect the
letters on the opposite side of the page just from a smartphone camera
snapshot...   But a very interesting approach in any case.

Grant Schultz