[Cryptography] Brainstorming for encrypted text messaging ideas...

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Jun 21 12:06:57 EDT 2017

On 06/20/2017 07:21 PM, Grant Schultz wrote:
>> There is a classic construction for a simple
>> mechanical device to assist the use of a one-time pad.
>> ...a refined and convenient version could easily
>> be made shirt-pocket size, with a 20-character photo-friendly display.

> Yes, similar in principle to these devices here:
> https://calculating.wordpress.com/category/calculators-2/computing-calculators/

That is almost EXACTLY what I had in mind.  The little "hook" at the top
of each column to do an addition carry is a nice refinement for an
addition/subtraction calculator but obviously unwanted for the OTP
device.  I was actually thinking of the M-138-A (a very clunky tabletop
thing which was used with interchangeable strips that bore mixed
alphabets) and trying to imagine a way for it to be made pocket-size,
photo-friendly, and convenient.  Seeing that something so very much like
what I imagined, has already been done for the sake of a mechanical
calculator, is amazing.

				Bear