[Cryptography] [ANNOUNCE] HashCash Digital Cash

Rune K. Svendsen runesvend at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 12:25:36 EDT 2017

Hi there

Looks interesting. I completely agree that we need something where
scalability is the first priority, not second or third. Bitcoin's
scalability is limited enough as it is, so scaling a layer 2 Bitcoin
payment protocol to serve the entire world -- which, surely, must be the
goal -- is difficult enough without the many restrictions introduced by
e.g. the Lightning Network protocol, in particular with regards to routing
payments from payers to payees.

With regards to HashCash, I see no way it prevents double-spending, except
upon redemption. Is this the case? Can a receiver not know whether a
HashCash coin he gets from a payer is a double-spend, unless he tries to
redeem it (or otherwise ask the server/issuer)?

I've thought about Chaumian cash on top of Bitcoin, but I couldn't find a
solution to the double-spend problem, so I'm curious to know if you have
one. If it involves contacting the issuer to ask for validity, what's the
point of having a digital instrument serve as cash, when you need to query
a server for its validity anyway? That's not very cash-like.

     /Rune