[Cryptography] Anyone interested in a cheap security module for Raspberry Pi?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 12:10:39 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a fan of the Cryptech project
> <https://www.crowdsupply.com/cryptech/open-hardware-security-module>, but
> the alpha boards are pricey.  I also am a fan of the low cost open SC4-HSM
> <https://sc4.us/hsm/>, but I am interested in devices with better
> physical security.
>
> I think I could build a fairly cheap daughter board for the Raspberry Pi
> using the NXP Kinetis K81
> <http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/KNTSK8XFS.pdf>.

Well, crud!  The Kinetis K81 reference manual is only available under NDA.
That is no problem for me, and probably not for most users, but some
open-source developers may balk at working with a chip who's documentation
is not open.

What are the alternatives for a secure microcontroller with elliptic-curve
crypto acceleration?