[Cryptography] Anyone interested in a cheap security module for Raspberry Pi?

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Thu Jul 27 10:52:08 EDT 2017

On 26/07/17 06:10 PM, Bill Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com
> <mailto:ron at flownet.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Jul 25, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com
>     <mailto:waywardgeek at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>     I also am a fan of the low cost open SC4-HSM <https://sc4.us/hsm/>,
>
>     Thank you!  :-)
>
>>     but I am interested in devices with better physical security.
>
>     Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?  The SC4-HSM can be made
>     secure against an adversary with physical possession of the device.
>     If you’re willing to type in a pass-phrase, it can even be made
>     secure against an adversary capable of decapping the SoC.  What more
>     do you want?
>
>     rg
>
> I have a different threat model than most HSMs:  I assume the attacker
> could be:
>
> - Malware on the host computer
> - The owner of the device, so pass phrases do not help
> - A botnet of HSM emulators, so I'll need hardware attestation
> - A group of hackers motivated enough to buy a large number of HSMs and
> PWN them to control the network

This looks like a centrally controlled set of digital devices. Reminds
me of "trusted computing". The proposed variant is that an external HSM
does what the TPM (trusted platform module) is expected to do inside the
system.

The API between hosts and either TPM or your intended HSM is deemed to
be quite challenging.

Sorry, I doubt this threat model is going to attract much interest from
the crypto community.

In any event, the use of highly integrated microprocessor systems for
security opens new opportunities and the SC4-HSM is a foremost example.

Regards,

- Thierry