[Cryptography] Trump wants to collaborate with the Russians to secure U.S. elections

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Jul 10 22:25:27 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM Erik <erik at erikgranger.name> wrote:

> >Do you really not see any other possible damage that this collaboration
> could do other than having compromised software actually used in elections?

>From my information bubble it seems the election was not hacked.

I see a number of things. Mostly criminal.  One is voter records.  They are
full of personal ID information   and would be a rich source of ID theft,
treasure.   All the information needed to initiate financial fraud on the
US population.. so very handy individual or many...

Email hacks ... organizational email hacks has a market.  News and media
Outlets pay to get,
organizations pay to sequester...  others pay to play and embarrass.   Like
paparazzi, they get what they can to sell.

Maddison avenue targeting and profiling... all want to play.  Media is ALL
targeted, sliced and diced by region and market.   Private money can buy
time and say almost anything.   The unaudited private money could  be
domestic, international business, international government.

There is apparently zero evidence that votes were lost or falsified in new
digital ways by foreign agents despite the terrible security of digital
systems.  Next time who knows!

As Secretary of State Hillary was face to face with the most sexist and
racist governments on the planet.   Only Condolica Rice had more poke them
in the eye factor than Hillary.    Most of the globe would "vote" against
her...   criminals might get a get out of jail free card by targeting
american famous people like HRC if that government had issues or axes to
grind.

My take is net neutrality is more important, at least equal to these
hacking allegations.

Russian crime... as long as they pull money in it will continue with a
blind eye by Mother Russia as long as there is little or no internal
theft.  Putin's cash cow!

So system security, system design,  key management, well chosen encryption
of data at rest and in transit.

Suffer no fools that would request and collect the critical data of a
nation without a security plan first.  Sure just send it and trust us is
not a plan.   System flaws are two way double edge risks.  Our digital
systems use is more extensive than most nations.  A flaw is asymmetric the
wrong way for the US, UK, EU, Japan.   Most of the world uses the same
software.

As for working with Russia... a New Yorker might have a bridge to sell
you.  But Trump, no.

--
I be mobile, excuse my tipping!