[Cryptography] Trump wants to collaborate with the Russians to secure U.S. elections

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sun Jul 9 22:30:06 EDT 2017

On Jul 9, 2017, at 6:27 PM, erik <erik at erikgranger.name> wrote:

> Call me crazy, but I think that it is of utmost importance that the
> president of the US, whomever that may be, and the leader of Russia,
> whomever that may be, should be best friends.
>
> I think this neo-mcarthyism is a bit dangerous, as people seem to forget
> that both the United States and Russia have H-bombs. Any petty stuff
> about elections is kinda not as important as making sure that, no matter
> what, no escelations exist between the United States and Russia.
>
> If a country has H-bombs, diplomacy is of utmost importance. This
> saber-rattling that I'm seeing over the elections is rather concerning,
> considering that nothing less than the future of the human race is at
> stake. Compared to a nuclear winter, rigging elections seem tame.
>
> Not that I'm in favor of rigging elections, whether it is Russia doing
> it or the largest election-rigger in modern times, the United States,
> but once you have stakes that reach a certain level, one should be more
> cautious than Americans seem to be.

It would be terrific we could all Just Get Along as Rodney King once put it.  And the U.S. is certainly not without sin.  But the sad fact of the matter is that at present the U.S. and Russia are still adversaries, and have been for over 70 years.  That kind of legacy is not so easily overcome.  And you certainly don’t transform a long-standing adversary into an ally simply by treating them as a trusted party in the design of your defenses.

rg