[Cryptography] Fast handling of IP Address changes for HTTPS

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Sun Dec 31 19:03:55 EST 2017

On 12/30/2017 1:36 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, Bill Stewart quote (I lost the original):
>>> In Australia with the National Broadband Network (NBN) I am also
>>> experiencing IP Address changes without the modem disconnecting. It
>>> may not be general, but in my case it seems that a fixed IP Address
>>> is not available.
>
> I'm baffled.  Does the OP not have static IP?  I got shifted over to
> the NBN (fibre all the way, not the crappy copper junk) in February
> and my address has always been static (although it costs me AU$10/m).
> Before that I was on ADSL2+, again with a static IP (the same one).

Yes, static IP addresses are convenient when you want to run a server at
home, but there is a downside. The static IP address is a pretty good
unique identifier. It will be present in every web transaction, every
email trace, every VOIP connection. Some of us consider that a huge
privacy issue, and actually prefer services in which the ISP regularly
renumbers the connection. Not that changing IP address is sufficient to
keep your browsing private, but it is a necessary first step.

-- Christian Huitema