[Cryptography] Fast handling of IP Address changes for HTTPS

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Dec 30 16:36:18 EST 2017

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, Bill Stewart quote (I lost the original):

>> Running a webserver on a home system suffers from the problem of IP
>> Address changes after modem reboot.
>>
>> In Australia with the National Broadband Network (NBN) I am also
>> experiencing IP Address changes without the modem disconnecting. It may
>> not be general, but in my case it seems that a fixed IP Address is not
>> available.

I'm baffled.  Does the OP not have static IP?  I got shifted over to the
NBN (fibre all the way, not the crappy copper junk) in February and my
address has always been static (although it costs me AU$10/m).  Before
that I was on ADSL2+, again with a static IP (the same one).

Oh, and I've been running a home mail/web server for many years (it used
to be on a nailed-up PPP dialup); our national telco (Telstra; fondly
known as T$) allows it (but I suppose resellers may not).