[Cryptography] High volume thermal entropy from an iPhone

Alexandre Anzala-Yamajako anzalaya at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 06:38:15 EST 2017

> I'm still learning here, but is that a weakness of crypto in general i.e.
> always avoid null keys and IVs, or AES in particular?

Actually it's generally a tell of a bad design when there are sets of "weak
keys" and the larger the set, the worse the design. Since you're going to
pick your keys uniformly at random you don't want to have to go and check
afterwards.
AES doesn't have any known weak keys AFAIK. My point was not that AES or
Crypto are bad but rather that stastistical tests suck at evaluating
entropy. The only thing they are good for is to detect catastrophic
failures (you forgot to plug the output and it s constant for example).

Alex
--
Alexandre Anzala-Yamajako