[Cryptography] Intel's $10-100 billion Minix copyright problem

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 10 18:03:37 EST 2017

At 02:44 PM 12/10/2017, Kevin W. Wall wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
>... big snip ...
>
>> I'm now expecting to hear that Intel was *forced* by the
>> FISA "court" (perhaps not even an actual Article 3 court
>> [3]) to incorporate the ME "spy engine" into every chip,
>> and that same "court" issued an NSL to keep the existence
>> of this "spy engine" secret.
>
>That may very well be, but if that were the case, I wouldn't expect
>the public to _officially_ hear about that as a defense for Intel.
>Isn't this sort of like Fight Club?  That is the first rule about NSL
>is that you can't talk about your NSL?  Or is there something that I'm
>missing here?

Everyone retires to the FISA judge's chambers, then come out 30
minutes later; case mysteriously goes "poof".  Move along now;
nothing to see here.  Case closed.  Several Intel execs quietly
retire with multimillion $$$ golden parachutes & find lucrative
careers shilling for defense contractors in the "intel" community
(they don't even have to change their business cards very much!)

Intel SW folks execute "mv ~/ME/Minix ~/redacted/uCode", and
life goes on pretty much as before.

FISA court judge gives up his lifetime appointment to become Intel
corporate counsel; god's in his heaven, and all's right with the
world.