[Cryptography] Intel Management Engine pwnd

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Dec 1 22:56:08 EST 2017

| From: Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>

| Ever since I got my latest Windoze laptop last year, I noticed that it
| didn't retain all of its battery charge when *powered down*.

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InstantGo>

I have a device (Dell Venue 11 Pro) that implements this.  And it
doesn't implement normal "sleep" mode (the Wikipedia article claims
that the IntstantGo specification forbids support for Sleep and
Hibernate modes).  It is horrible with Linux because Linux doesn't
know how to use the new lowish power mode.  So when I close the V11p,
it stays warm and the battery drains.

I would guess that Linux doesn't support this mechanism because it
isn't publicly documented.  But I don't know.

I don't know how widely this "standard" is adopted, but I think that
it is on the Microsoft Surface Pro devices too.

The V11p does seem to turn off when requested.  I have not checked if
the battery continues draining.  To be honest, I barely use the
machine because sleeplessness is so annoying.

Microsoft, Intel, and PC manufacturers seem to copy bad features of
the phone and tablet world.  Perhaps envy will be the death of them.