[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Apr 4 13:36:10 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Allen <allenpmd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (III) IMPLEMENT ACTIVE OR PASSIVE ECCM USED TO .....
>> (V) TRANSMIT VOICE OR DATA SIGNALS SPECIALLY DESIGNED TO ELUDE
>> ELECTROMAGNETIC DETECTION;
>>
>> https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2016-title22-vol1/xml/CFR-2016-title22-vol1-part121.xml
>
> AFAICS, these are USA export regulations and only apply if you are
> trying to export this technology from the USA to another country.

Oh good.  I was going to  note that the audience of the book is not restricted
to a single nation or context.   All the author or legal review had to suspect
or know was one situation where this was an issue.

The emergency services issues also applies to fire suppression, power and more.
A recent problem was with a solar array that could not be 'turned off'
by the fire
department the solar array kept a number of lines 'hot' when the fire
brigade expected
them to be off at the street.  "Rooms" might have local power regeneration from
AC to DC-storage to AC inside to improve isolation.

The export issue is interesting.  Even if you are not exporting the
product should export
regulations apply there are constraints just in case a fish
import/export company
buys a munition (computer for example) and loads it on a slow boat to
another jurisdiction.
As a manufacturer of a munition there are rules especially if a sale
sounds fishy.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l